We are looking for Academic Assistant from September 2019.
As Academic Assistant you will manage HOOP’s academic program, helping to develop and improve the curriculum. You will be a team leader for the HOOP volunteers and help them be effective teachers and address any issues that arise with confidence and professionalism.
You will be a friendly and approachable point of contact for parents and students at the HOOP school, helping to build trusting relationships with HOOP’s beneficiaries and the wider community.
- Ensure volunteer teachers are prepared for class and are being as effective as possible in meeting the aims of HOOP’s English program and extra curricular activities.
- Be a mentor to new volunteers.
- Help develop and deliver teacher training, and optimise teaching methods and materials to ensure our high quality service.
- Assist with classroom duties where needed – e.g. being a lead or assistant teacher when other team members are sick.
- Assist the Education and Volunteer Coordinator in designing proposals for new academic programs.
- Monitor and evaluate the course to ensure its maximum impact.
- Ensuring school paperwork such as registration forms, attendance sheets, incident reports and exam results are up to date.
- Other ad-hoc tasks involved in HOOP’s wider organisation when needed.
- Qualification in education or teaching English (or working towards it).
- Experience working with children and being approachable for children, teenagers and adults.
- Intermediate Spanish preferred.
- Fluent English.
- Enjoy public speaking, leadership, coordination, and teamwork.
- Good time management and organizational skills.
- Commitment to the mission of HOOP and achieving the project vision.
- Innovation and creativity in designing and adapting programs.
- Cultural sensitivity.
What we offer:
- Further your practical work experience in a friendly, welcoming, and supportive environment.
- Gain experience working in the NGO sector and learn about issues in international development.
- One-to-one mentoring by the Education and Volunteer Coordinator.
- A structured personal development plan, which will be reviewed regularly throughout your placement.
- A reference upon successful completion of your placement.
Unfortunately as a very small organisation we are not able to offer pay or other benefits. Interns, like our volunteers, must pay a one-off admin fee of $250. For information on what this admin fee covers, go to www.hoopperu.org/faq
Based at: HOOP Office, Avenida Pumacahua 109, Cerro Colorado, Arequipa, Peru and Flora Tristan English School, Flora Tristan, Villa Fontana, Arequipa, Peru.
Minimum time commitment: four months (up to six months possible).
Working hours: Monday to Friday, six hours per day (plus one hour for lunch), plus occasional ad-hoc hours in evenings or weekends relating to HOOP’s local fundraising events
Position reports to: Education and Volunteer Coordinator
How to apply: Send your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org