Volunteer with HOOP
Apply now to join our July volunteer class!
Minimum stay is 3 months, and applications for longer stays are welcome. Other 2017 start date: 4th September.
Whether you’re taking a gap year, planning a career break, or thinking about a retirement adventure, volunteering abroad is a great way to see the world while making a meaningful contribution to the community.
Join the HOOP team as a Children’s English Teacher – in Arequipa, Peru – and get the chance to experience a different culture, develop your professional skills, learn a new language and give something back to society.
Listen to our kids and see the difference you could make in this video:
What does it involve?
- Plan and deliver five English classes per week, each lasting one hour
- Supervise homework help or in the playground for 45 minutes after English class
- Record lesson plans and monitor student progress and update student records
- Participate in weekly volunteer meetings
- Build relationships with the parents
- Update teaching materials and notify the Volunteer Coordinator of any additional resources required
- Take part in the organization and delivery of occasional HOOP fundraising initiatives
- Fluent in English
- Basic to intermediate Spanish skills preferred, or a willingness to learn
- Experience working with children
- Experience living or working abroad preferred
Successful candidates will be:
- Organized and reliable, with good time management
- Creative and resourceful to be able to work in a development environment and make best use of HOOP’s limited resources
- Flexible and responsive to the frequently changing needs of the organization and community
- Approachable and personable to build effective relationships with the HOOP team, students and local people
What we offer
- Teacher training at the start of your placement and ongoing support in developing your teaching practice
- The opportunity to further your practical teaching experience in a friendly, welcoming, and supportive environment
- The opportunity to contribute to the improvement and development of our other program areas, including health, nutrition, hygiene and business classes
- A reference upon successful completion of the placement
- The chance to live in Peru as part of a team of fun, supportive and like-minded volunteers
- The chance to improve your overall understanding of the international development field
How to apply
To apply, please fill out our online application form:
Alternatively, you can request an application form by email on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Why choose HOOP?
HOOP is committed to providing a high-quality experience for our volunteers, and we continually aim to improve our program in response to volunteer feedback. As well as being a registered charity in Peru, we are supported by our daughter organisations in the UK (registered charity 1165490) and in Austria (473887699), and we are a vetted partner of Omprakash Foundation, a network supporting and promoting ethical volunteering around the world.
To help cover the costs of managing, supporting and training volunteers, we ask for a one-off $250 administration fee. Read more about why we charge a fee here. To see volunteer reviews, visit the review section on our Facebook Page and our testimonials page.
Find out more about living in Arequipa.