Volunteer with HOOP!
English offers a hook into opportunity but many of Peru’s communities haven’t received English teaching. Meanwhile, public education hasn’t innovated to provide adequate training. HOOP fills the void. Through offering free community English classes, HOOP facilitates change beyond language learning. With HOOP, community development extends beyond the individual.
Apply now to be one of HOOP’s English teachers and provide children and mothers with information that can make all the difference. Volunteers work on long-term projects in a multicultural environment, cultivate lasting relationships, harness new abilities, and gain valuable NGO experience, all while enjoying the authenticity of Peru’s second-largest city.
HOOP requires a three month minimum commitment, with preference given to those who can stay longer.
You can change the life of a child with a sentence – volunteering with HOOP can make your word go further.
Apply now to join our August volunteer classes!
Listen to our kids and see the difference you could make in this video:
What does it involve?
- Plan and deliver five English classes per week, each lasting one hour
- Supervise homework help or in the playground for 45 minutes after English class
- Record lesson plans and monitor student progress and update student records
- Participate in weekly volunteer meetings
- Build relationships with the parents
- Update teaching materials and notify the Volunteer Coordinator of any additional resources required
- Take part in the organization and delivery of occasional HOOP fundraising initiatives
- Fluent in English
- Basic to intermediate Spanish skills preferred, or a willingness to learn
- Experience working with children
- Experience living or working abroad preferred
Successful candidates will be:
- Organized and reliable, with good time management
- Creative and resourceful to be able to work in a development environment and make best use of HOOP’s limited resources
- Flexible and responsive to the frequently changing needs of the organization and community
- Approachable and personable to build effective relationships with the HOOP team, students and local people
What we offer:
- Teacher training at the start of your placement and ongoing support in developing your teaching practice
- The opportunity to further your practical teaching experience in a friendly, welcoming, and supportive environment
- The opportunity to contribute to the improvement and development of our other program areas, including health, nutrition, hygiene and business classes
- A reference upon successful completion of the placement
- The chance to live in Peru as part of a team of fun, supportive and like-minded volunteers
- The chance to improve your overall understanding of the international development field
How to apply:
Please fill out our online application form here!
Alternatively, you can request an application form by email on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Why choose HOOP?
HOOP is committed to providing a high-quality experience for our volunteers, and we continually aim to improve our program in response to volunteer feedback. As well as being a registered charity in Peru, we are supported by our daughter organisations in the UK (registered charity 1165490) and in Austria (473887699), and we are a vetted partner of Omprakash Foundation, a network supporting and promoting ethical volunteering around the world.
To help cover the costs of managing, supporting and training volunteers, we ask for a one-off $250 administration fee. Read more about why we charge a fee here. To see volunteer reviews, visit the review section on our Facebook Page and our testimonials page.
Any more questions?