Introduction to HOOP Peru
Helping Overcome Obstacles Peru (HOOP) is a registered NGO in Peru, that is breaking the cycle of poverty through education in the impoverished community of Flora Tristán, outside of Arequipa.
HOOP runs an after school English, art and sports program for 115 children and 25 adults, provides scholarships for a private secondary school, offers business and finance classes for adults, runs a social work program, and a health program that includes medical treatment, psychological support, as well as nutrition and sanitation workshops.
The Director of Communications & Development is responsible for ensuring HOOP is meeting its funding and volunteer recruitment goals through strategic marketing and fundraising activities. The jobholder will have a flair for creative marketing campaigns with a focus on results in both volunteer recruitment and fundraising. The jobholder will have had at least four years’ experience in communications or fundraising and will have demonstrated leadership skills in previous roles managing marketing or fundraising teams.
One of the main fundraising responsibilities is to create and develop cooperations and partnerships with other agencies and organizations to the benefit of HOOP, including NGOs, governmental organisations, and local and international businesses. Managing donor relationships and implementing strategies to maximize donor retention is another key responsibility.
The jobholder will coordinate all fundraising events locally and provide guidance and support for international fundraising events. The Director of Communications & Development will write grant proposals to local and international businesses, international foundations, as well as bilateral and multilateral organisations.
As part of the communications responsibilities, the job holder will manage all communications on HOOP’s social media channels, public relations, website management, newsletter mailing list, videos, photography, and blog.
As part of the Senior Management Team the job holder will also be involved in creating the annual strategic plan for HOOP.
Job Specifics & Benefits
- Start date: asap
- Working hours: 9:30 am – 6:00 pm Monday to Friday in the office in Arequipa, with occasional site visits to the HOOP project.
- 4 weeks of paid vacation
- Salary: 1300 Peruvian Soles, the equivalent of a local salary that will be sufficient to cover living costs
- Update and implement the fundraising & communications strategy
- Research grant possibilities and coordinate the grant writing process with approval of the Senior Management Team
- Develop partnerships with local, national and international institutions and donors
- Seek out financial and in-kind donations
- Manage local fundraising events
- Support former volunteers and founders in Austria and UK with overseas fundraising events
- Represent HOOP at NGO or business meetings
- Website maintenance
- Manage and update creative marketing material, including written materials, graphic design, photography and video production
- Keep donors engaged and informed
- Develop the annual report
- Assist in the development of the annual strategic plan
- Manage a team of fundraising and communications interns and manage recruitment
- Manage marketing to volunteers through social media channels, the website, and volunteering websites
- Manage all social media channels
- Manage the blog and newsletter
- The successful candidate must speak fluent English and intermediate Spanish, or should be willing to learn Spanish once in Peru.
- Degree in Communications, Marketing, Business, International Development or related field, or relevant experience
- At least three years of work experience in a communications and/or fundraising-related job
- Experience in fundraising
- Experience in writing grant proposals
- Excellent oral and written communicational skills
- Experience managing and directing photography or video projects
- Ability to develop communications strategies and an annual fundraising plan
- Experience in social media management
- Experience managing teams
- Experience working in an international environment
- Experience working in the non-profit sector
- Good time management
- Creativity and innovative thinking
- Well organised, reliable and committed
- Good communication skills
- Ability to delegate tasks
- Team oriented
- Strategic, analytical, and organizational skills
- Ability to handle multiple projects and meet deadlines
To apply for this position please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org by 30th May 2016, attaching your CV and cover letter.